I have found that people from statedroid have made a port of Debian on our devices. I have tested it but my tablet freezes on boot.
The best thing is that Debian is starting from the SD card and no modifications are made to core system.
You will need at least 4GB card.
To download debian for wm8650 apad, register here: http://openwm8650.org
- Working touchscreen
- WiFi support
- Ethernet support (USB adapter)
- hardware keyboard and soft keypad support (USB adapter)
- Mouse support (buggy)
How to install using Linux:
1. Transfer of .img file using linux:
2. When you have the file, unpack it and transfer to a 4GB sdcard using the following command:
dd if=/path/to/image/debian_wm8650_0.5.img.7z of=/dev/sdx
Replace the path with your actual path to the .img-file, and sdx with the device name of your sdcard reader.
How to install using Windows:
1. Preparing sd card
- Run cmd as Administrator
- Start "diskpart"
- Write "list disk", and make note of your SD Card disk number This is important.
- Write "select disk [your SD card number]"
- Write "select partition 1"
- Write "delete partition"
- Write "exit"
2. Flash Debian image. Download flashnul.rar from here: http://www.art-spot.org/web/flashnul.rar and uncompress it.
- uncompress the image in to the folder where you have uncompressed the flashnul utility.
- Navigate into "flashnul" directory created earlier
- Write "flashnul -p -k", and write down you SD card number (not drive letter)
- Write "flashnul [your SD card number] -P -k -L debian-m001.img"
- Wait until flashing finishes
- Ready to try it!
3. Put sd card into the device and start it.
IMPORTANT!!! Be very careful with [your SD card number]. If you put wrong number you could wipe out your hard disk entirely.
Credits to inj of techknow.t0xic.nl and openwm8650.org